I Was Injured by a Hit and Run Driver. What Should I Do?

Drivers that cause automobile accidents are legally required to stop and identify themselves after the accident, regardless of the severity of damage. Unfortunately, hit and run accidents, in which the driver at fault leaves the scene without identifying themselves, happen frequently. According to the Department of Transportation, one in five pedestrians killed in a motor vehicle accident was hit by a hit and run driver.

If you are involved in an automobile accident with a hit and run driver, you may still be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries. If you are insured or if you live with a family member that is insured, check whether or not your automobile insurance policy provides for Uninsured Motorist (UM) Benefits. If your insurance does provide for such coverage, then you can file a claim against your own insurance company. Essentially, your insurance company will “step into the shoes” of the hit and run driver and compensate you for your loss.

If you are injured by a hit and run driver and you do not have insurance coverage, then you may be able to make a claim under the Unsatisfied Claim and Judgment Fund. This fund was created to provide relief to those persons that are injured by insufficiently insured drivers, such as uninsured drivers, drivers of stolen cars, and hit and run drivers. Thus, the purpose of the fund is to provide relief to persons who would otherwise be remediless. The fund covers those injured in car accidents, trucks accidents, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists. You may be awarded compensation is the following amounts under the fund:

Medical Treatment: you may be awarded up to $250,000 for medical treatment.

Income Benefits: if you are unable to work as a result of the accident, you can receive up to $100 per week or a total of $5,200 to compensate for the loss of income.

Death Benefits: if the accident results in the death of the main provider of the household, the fund will pay benefits to the surviving spouse or children equal to the income of the deceased or the maximum amount allowed.

Funeral Expenses: the fund allows for funeral expenses up to $1,000.

In order to be eligible to receive benefits under the fund, you must make a claim within 180 days of the accident. Therefore, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible to assist you in accessing these benefits.

If you have been injured in a hit and run accident, contact our office to see how we may be able to help and schedule a free, in-person consultation today.