NJ Traffic Tickets

Let Wolf Law help you fight traffic tickets and eliminate or reduce motor vehicle points. Let us help you keep your drivers license or avoid suspension of your commercial drivers license (CDL). If you are convicted of a serious traffic violation your driving privileges could be suspended or revoked. Even for relatively minor violations you are often subject to harsh fines. The New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles tracks your violations using a point system. If you are convicted of a moving violation, they will penalize you by adding points to your driving record. Typical examples of 2 point tickets are Careless Driving, Failing to Observe a Traffic Control Device, and Speeding (1 to 14 mph over). More serious violations are assessed 4 points such as Speeding (15 to 29 mph over) and Improper Passing. The most serious violations which are 5 points include Reckless Driving, Speeding (30 mph over), and Passing a School Bus.

See the official NJ complete point table (opens a new window)

See the official New Jersey Commercial (CDL) penalty table (.pdf) 

See Information on Driving Without Insurance

See Information on  “Leaving the Scene of an Accident”

See information on driving with a suspended / revoked license


How do points affect me?

If you get 12 or more points on your current driving record, your license will be suspended.

Even 2 points can result in an increase in your auto insurance rates. 4 points generally results in a substantial increase.

Your insurance company is permitted to cancel your policy if you or a family member gets 5 or more points.

How can I get rid of points on my record?

Although MVC keeps a permanent record of all the points you’ve earned, it is possible to earn point deductions by remaining violation and suspension-free for one year or by taking qualified driving courses approved by MVC. However, your insurance company might not factor these deductions into your insurance rate.

How can I prevent getting points on my record?

The best way to keep your insurance premiums down is not to get the points in the first place. Let Wolf Law help you. We have 36 years experience in the New Jersey Municipal Courts. We will go to court with you and negotiate with the prosecutor and the police officer to reduce or eliminate the points you are facing. In many cases, including speeding, we will be able to have the charge reduced to an Unsafe Operation Violation under N.J.S.A. 39:4-97.2 which results in no motor vehicle points for the first two violations of the statute. In some cases we are able to have non-speeding offenses reduced to other no point violations even for drivers who have used up their two available unsafe operation violations. Click here to see actual results Wolf Law has obtained for its clients.


Do I get points for out of state moving violations? If I am an out of state driver do violations in New Jersey put points on my license?

The answer to these two questions are related. Even though you are a New Jersey driver, you can still acquire points and penalties for violations committed in other states. If you are licensed in another state and receive a ticket in New Jersey, the points may transfer to your home state (click here for a specific state list and penalties of previous clients). New Jersey is a member of two compacts that enforce this policy.

The Driver License Compact:

Consists of 45 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin

Members in this compact exchange all violation information

The Nonresident Violator Compact:

Consists of 44 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin

Assures nonresident motorists the same rights and privileges as residents

Nonresident drivers have due process protection and cannot be detained out-of-state

Requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state

Does not apply to parking or standing violations, highway weight limit violations and violations of Hazmat transportation laws

If you are a New Jersey licensed driver and receive an out-of-state moving violation, New Jersey will assess 2 points against you regardless of what the violation is. For example, if you receive a speeding ticket in New York, you will get two points on your New Jersey driving record for that violation.

If you are an out of state licensed driver and receive a moving violation in New Jersey, New Jersey will report the conviction to your home state and your home state will assess points. Depending upon the policy of your home state, the points assessed may be the same as New Jersey or may differ. Let the Wolf Law help you eliminate or reduce the points that are transferred back to your state. We will work with you to obtain the result that will be best for your particular state and your particular circumstances. Most of our Municipal Courts will permit you to authorize our firm to appear on your behalf without you having to travel to New Jersey for a court appearance. We will appear in court for you and negotiate the best possible outcome to minimize the points that will be transferred back to your home state.


How do traffic violations affect my CDL?

If you have a Commercial Drivers License, you are subject to additional penalties if you are convicted of certain moving violations. These penalties frequently include suspension of your CDL even if you were not driving a CMV at the time you received the ticket. Click here for a complete list of violations that affect your CDL and the penalties for each violation (pdf).

Call Wolf Law at 732-741-4448 to discuss the particular violation you are charged with and what can be done to avoid suspension of your CDL.